Best Dentist in Webster MA Shares Dental Care Importance During Pregnancy
Dr. Valente and her team care about the health of you and your family. There are many myths that being pregnant can and will damage your teeth, however with proper care, you and your baby’s teeth will be just fine.
If you are pregnant, it is important to take good care of your teeth for the sake of both mommy-to-be and her little one. Here are some tips from our best dentist in Webster MA to help you maintain healthy dental hygiene during pregnancy!
Due to morning sickness and dietary changes, it is even more important than usual to provide yourself with adequate oral health care. While pregnant, intake of sugary foods may increase, and if a pregnant woman falls asleep without brushing after eating a sugary snack, this gives plaque additional hours to attack the teeth.
This increased hormone production will also cause women to experience dry mouth. Dry mouth can be caused by a lack of saliva, acid reflux, or the medication that may be prescribed during pregnancy. Pregnant women are advised to keep extra water nearby because dehydration can increase the risk of tooth decay. It is also not advised that pregnant women take medications that are acidic or sugar based because these substances can damage enamel during this period when teeth are particularly vulnerable.
Some important habits for pregnant women to maintain healthy oral health include:
- Flossing once per day
- Brushing in the morning and in the evening
- Avoiding eating food in bed
- Avoiding acidic beverages
- Using a straw while sipping anything to avoid contact with teeth
- Waking up and brushing teeth if you have fallen asleep without doing so
- Drinking water throughout the day (with meals and in between meals)
- Limiting sugar intake by avoiding sugary drinks and brushing immediately after consumption of these items
We want to help you keep your teeth healthy during pregnancy. Follow the tips above or contact our office to learn more from the best dentist in Webster MA, Dr. Valente!