Our Dentist in Webster MA Shares the Dangers of Drinking Coffee
It's no secret that coffee is one of the most popular drinks worldwide. Unfortunately, coffee has certain negative effects to your precious smile. Due to the acidity levels of coffee, your tooth enamel wears down and becomes stained over time. Your tooth enamel is porous in nature and coffee gets in there easily, causing your teeth to turn a yellowish tint. Below, our dentist in Webster MA breaks down ways to hopefully improve your smile's appearance.
How to Get Rid of Coffee Stains
There’s no perfect way of removing coffee stains from your teeth (unless you quit drinking coffee), but you can minimize the effects of coffee on your teeth in the long run.
1. Reduce the amount of coffee that you drink every day. Quite a straightforward advice, but you may not consider this as an option. You’re already used to drinking a certain amount of coffee to keep you up the whole day. Nevertheless, cutting down on coffee will reduce the risk of stains.
2. Another tip is to rinse or wash your teeth after drinking coffee to at least eliminate coffee residue. Brushing your teeth will be even more helpful.
3. Avoid direct contact between coffee and your teeth. Try switching over to drinking it through a straw. Yes, even hot coffee can be enjoyed through a straw!
4. Bring back your teeth’s neutral level of pH by using a pH balanced mouthwash. Rinse with your mouthwash for at least 30 seconds.
5. Opt for a whitening treatment that will remove coffee and other substances that stain your teeth. Ask Dr. Valente which treatment is right for you during your next scheduled consultation.
Dental problems may effect your overall health and confidence, so always keep your teeth and gums strong whenever possible. Following these simple steps will go a long way in combatting the negative effects of coffee on your teeth. Call our dentist in Webster MA at (508) 987-8125 to schedule your appointment and learn more about ways to take care of your smile with Dr. Valente.